Saturday 2 August 2014

Banana bread in a bread machine recipe

I got lucky this morning! Passing the little greengrocers at the Triangle in Willingdon I spied
Freshly baked banana bread 
a trug of almost overripe bananas on offer at just £1 for the lot. I snapped them up and ended up with 14 for my pound. Bargain!

I decided that banana bread would be their perfect use. However, Dave's slow cooking his excellent Pork with Fennel Seeds in the oven and this takes all day. I definitely don't want to interrupt the pork as that would not be to my benefit at all. Thinking hard, I had a vague recollection of seeing a recipe using the bread machine somewhere. A quick search turned up two choices: Banana and Peanut Butter bread in One Hundred Bread Machine Recipes or Banana and Walnut bread in our machine's own instruction booklet. Having neither peanut butter or walnuts, I decided that omitting the latter posed least risk of ruining its recipe! I was right - we both agree this banana bread is delicious and it's going so fast, I might find myself baking another loaf tomorrow.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp melted butter (I used margarine)
1 tbsp milk
1 cup mashed banana (I used 5 because they were quite small)
1 egg
1 tsp grated lemon zest ( I tried but life is too short for zesting lemons)

Put all these ingredients into a bowl together and mix until well combined. Place the mix into the bread machine pan.

Dry Ingredients:
1.5 cups plain white flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Mix together the dry ingredients and place these into the bread machine pan too. Our machine has a Quick Setting which is a total of 1 hour and 40 minutes, about 80 minutes of which is actually baking. This is what I used and hopefully you can find a similar setting on your machine.

1 comment:

  1. I've also blogged an oven-baked Banana Cake recipe here: http://stephjb.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/perfect-banana-cake-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete